Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Writing Game Part 1, Webcast #536


“Students need lots of reps with micro writing skills.” This was one of Coach B’s major teaching points during the Writing Game Part 1.  In fact, he said students need 100s of reps! No way to do 100s of reps during the school day with a paper and pencil. How do we solve that problem? Oral writing, of course.   

We use puzzles as a frame in which kids take turns working in pairs to verbally fill in the blanks as many times as possible to create new sentences.  Students play for points, always trying to beat their previous best score. Cowabunga! What a great way to build fluency.   

We reward energy with smilies on the scoreboard, and we spur on a lackadaisical class with frownies. My students will do almost anything for those smilies.  I’ve learned to keep that scoreboard active all day long!

To build excellent content, I have created the Super Improvers Wall. This is a picture of my Super Improvers Wall.   
 
When my students grow in the use of a skill such as great detail adder sentences or use of the words "because" or "though," they will earn a star.  Some of my students are now up to five stars. They really work hard to earn those stars, and I believe it will have a very positive impact on their growth in writing skills.

Although my students write across the curriculum, at my school we also write all day on Wednesdays.  I think I will use the Writing Game as a warm-up each Wednesday to give my students the opportunity for hundreds of repetitions of micro skills. I will also continue to use the Super Improvers Wall encourage growth as strong, proficient writers.

1 comment:

  1. Would you explain your creation of the SIW? I have seen some really complicated ones, and as a middle school teacher with 6 classes of 30 students I do not have the ability to create a complicated SIW. Yours looks do-able. Do you simply change the color card as the student moves up and add stars to it?

    ReplyDelete